Teens love to get together and hang out. Birthday parties are fun, but having a party just for the fun of it can be even more exciting. Plus, if you are the host, knowing where your teen is and what they are doing gives you peace of mind that is priceless.
There are times when your teens may enjoy just hanging out, listening to music and playing video games. But host a big gathering with a theme, and you will see your kids’ excitement grow! Planning food, music, fun games, party favors, and decorations around the perfect theme is fun, and you’ll love these cool party ideas for teens.
Whether you’re looking for teen birthday party ideas, sports team parties, or just an excuse for your teen to gather with their friends in the safety of your home, you are going to love these party theme ideas for teens.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
Selecting A Theme
I highly recommend that you consult with your teen when selecting a birthday theme for a teen party. There is often a fine line between what’s totally cool and what might seem babyish.
If you are planning a surprise party, enlist the help of your teen’s friends to be sure everything goes off without a hitch. Teenagers are surprisingly good at coming up with creative ideas, and you’ll be the cool parent just for asking them to give you fun ideas!
Teen Party Must-Haves
A party for thirteen-year-olds may look a little different than a party you host for seventeen-year-olds, but there are a few things every party must have:
- Music – Even if you aren’t expecting the kids to dance, music is a must. You can select a few tunes that line up with your selected theme but include some of the current popular music as well. Consider having an older sibling or a friend’s older sibling act as a DJ for the evening. Connect your phone to an outdoor Bluetooth speaker system, and you can blast kid-friendly tunes all night long. Maybe even have a karaoke birthday party!
- Food – Teens love food, and a few themed offerings are great. Be careful not to go overboard with the food and don’t discount party staples like pizza, sandwiches, ice cream, chips and soda.
- Decor – When it comes to decor, the sky is the limit. Most kids will be happy just to hang with their friends, but everyone loves a theme that lends itself to cool decor. Roll out the red carpet for a movie party, or grab a disco ball for a dance party!
- Games and Activities – Tonight’s the night to put away the video games and select some games that several people can play. Yard games like cornhole, Nerf battles, squirt gun painting, and Spikeball are tons of fun. For an indoor party, board games or trivia questions can be loads of party fun!
- Party Guests – Of course you have to invite your teen’s closest friends! If it’s a surprise, check with their best friend to make sure you invite guests who will be welcomed (and keep anyone off the guest list who doesn’t belong).
Teen Party Location Ideas
If you want to throw a party but let someone else handle all the details, host your party at a location other than your home. Here are some great ideas:
- Bowling Alley – Reserve the party room and have a fun evening of bowling and pizza.
- Laser Tag – Bring the video game to life
- Movie Theater – Many theaters will let you rent an entire theater off-hours to watch a current movie. Plus, there is a great concession stand for kids to visit, so food is taken care of.
- Museum – Museums are used to hosting parties and can offer cool tours, activities and may even put together a fun scavenger hunt.
- Amusement Park – Contact the park for a group rate and let the kids find their own fun. Gather everyone back at a pavilion or picnic area for a lunch of hot dogs and serve cake.
- Camping – If your teen loves the outdoors, rent a few campsites and spend the weekend in the wilderness. Have a cookout, go hiking and do a little fishing.
- Trampoline Park – Trampoline parks are popping up all over the place and lets kids jump and bounce and have fun. Even older kids will love this idea.
- Ropes Course – Challenge courses are perfect for small to medium-sized groups and provide a great opportunity for teens to work together and bond with each other.
Party Theme Ideas for Teens
If the ideas aren’t already flowing, we’ve gathered this list of some birthday party themes from around the internet that are perfect for teens. Many of these have food ideas, decoration tips and some include printables and games to help you plan an epic party that your teen and their friends will be talking about for a long time.
No matter which of these teenage birthday party ideas you choose, everyone is sure to have a great time! With just a little planning, a great theme, and of course a delicious birthday cake, the big day will be one they will never forget!
Which of these awesome party themes do you think is the best? Is there a theme or any related games we’ve left out? Leave us a comment and let us know!
Amanda is a mom of 4 living a mostly crunchy lifestyle outside of Atlanta, GA with her husband, 2 dogs, and a cat. As a former special education teacher who also has her personal training certification — Amanda really enjoys teaching others how to do things!
When she’s not working, Amanda enjoys DIY projects, exercising, photography, hiking, and long walks through Target.