Well, hello there! If you are looking for the best running quotes for Instagram, then you, my friend, have jogged into the right corner of the Internet. Here we celebrate the universal love for running, our favorite hobby that doubles as a way to keep the doctor away, and a semi-torturous exercise form. But let’s focus on the love part.
Now, we all know that running has more benefits than the fingers you have to count. Okay, this might be an exaggeration, but you get the idea. It’s not just about staying fit and looking good in those skinny jeans or, in my case, running shorts.
Running boosts your mood, keeps your heart happy, and even keeps your mind sharp. And hey, did we mention it’s the perfect excuse to catch up on audiobooks or get lost in your favorite playlist? Talk about multi-tasking!
But there’s more to the whole running scene than just lacing up and hitting the pavement. The post-run selfie, the scenic routes, the joy of reaching a new personal best—these are all great things and part of the game. And what’s the cherry on top?
A killer Instagram caption, of course.
Captions that are equal parts motivational and cheeky can be the difference between your friends scrolling past your post or being inspired to put on their own running shoes.
And don’t underestimate the power of a great caption. It can uplift you on tough days, give you that extra nudge on cold mornings, and remind you of why you started running in the first place. It’s all about keeping that spark alive, and a punchy caption can do just that.
So, in the spirit of marrying our love for running and social media bragging rights, we’ve decided to collate some of the best running quotes for your Instagram captions. This list isn’t just about giving you a pool of quotes to dip into whenever you need a caption, but also to provide you with a boost of motivation, a dash of humor, and maybe a pinch of philosophical musings about the life lessons we can learn from running.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
Motivational Quotes to Inspire You to Start Running
Strap on those running shoes, y’all! It’s time to tackle that ever-daunting first step. You know, the one that has you staring at your pristine, barely-touched running shoes, wondering if you can ever be one of those early birds who chirp about the joy of a morning run.
Overcoming the Fear of the First Step
As our favorite, fictional high school basketball coach once said, “The hardest part of a journey is taking the first step.” Okay, maybe Coach Bolton from High School Musical didn’t exactly say that, but it sounds like something he’d say, right?
And it’s true! That first step can seem like a giant leap. But remember, every great runner once took that leap. Some of them probably tripped over their shoelaces, but hey, they got up and kept going.
And so can you.
Here are a few quotes to help nudge you out the door:
1. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”– Lao Tzu
2. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”– Arthur Ashe
3. “Running has taught me, perhaps more than anything else, that there’s no reason to fear starting lines…or other new beginnings.”–Amby Burfoot
Quotes to Get You Off the Couch
Your couch may be comfy, and your Netflix queue may be calling, but so is the open road, the fresh air, and the feeling of accomplishment after a good run. If you need a bit more coaxing, here are a few quotes that might help you swap your remote for running shoes.
1. “You don’t have to go fast, you just have to go.”– Anonymous
2. “No matter how slow you go, you’re still lapping everyone on the couch.”– Unknown
3. “Every run is a work of art, a drawing on each day’s canvas. Some runs are shouts and some runs are whispers. Some runs are eulogies and others celebrations.”– Dagny Scott Barrios
4. “Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running.”– Sarah Condor
Setting Personal Goals: Start Small, Aim Big
Setting goals is like creating your running roadmap. Start with the neighborhood park, then the 5k, the 10k, and who knows, maybe someday the marathon. Remember, it’s not about the speed, it’s about the consistency. And always celebrate your victories, no matter how small. Each step you take is a step towards progress, and that’s what counts.
Here are some quotes to help you set your running goals:
1. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”– Confucius
2. “All you need is the courage to believe in yourself and put one foot in front of the other.”– Kathrine Switzer
3. “Don’t bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.”– William Faulkner
Ready to take that first step now? Remember, we’re cheering you on every step of the way. And your Instagram followers will be, too, with these inspiring quotes as your captions. Run, Forest, run!
Quotes to Persevere Through Tough Runs
Alright, my friend, we’ve started this journey, now it’s time to talk about the uphill battles. You know what I mean—the runs where your lungs are screaming, legs are aching, and that little voice inside your head starts whispering, “Maybe we should just walk the rest of the way?” Well, consider this your pep talk.
Embracing the Challenge
Let’s be honest, not all runs are going to feel like a jog in the park, especially when you’re pushing your limits. Some runs will test you. They’ll challenge you. They might even make you question why you ever thought running was a good idea. But guess what? It’s through these challenges that we grow. Remember, no diamond ever became brilliant without a bit of pressure.
Here are a few quotes to remind you to embrace the challenge:
1. “Every run is a new opportunity to challenge yourself.”– Dean Karnazes, author of Ultramarathon Man
2. “Running is nothing more than a series of arguments between the part of your brain that wants to stop and the part that wants to keep going.”– Unknown
3. “Running is an effort to escape from comfort zone.”― Tumpal Sihombing
4. “You are truly your own hero in running. It is up to you to have the responsibility and self-discipline to get the job done.”– Adam Goucher, U.S. Olympic distance runner
Inspirational Quotes for When You Feel Like Quitting
It happens to the best of us—the urge to throw in the towel (or in this case, the running shoes). But before you decide to call it quits, try to remember why you started in the first place. Remember the joy of reaching a personal best, the satisfaction of finishing a tough run, and the endorphins—you can’t forget the endorphins!
Here are some quotes for those days when you feel like giving up:
1. “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.”– Lance Armstrong
2. “Your body can stand almost anything. It’s your mind that you have to convince.”– Anonymous
3. Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.– Dean Karnazes, author of Ultramarathon Man
4. “Most people don’t run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second.”– William James
5. “It’s very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit.”– Dr. George Sheehan
The Importance of Mental Strength in Running
Physical strength might get you started, but mental strength? That’s what carries you across the finish line. Building mental fortitude not only helps in running but also extends to other areas of life. It’s about pushing through even when the going gets tough.
Here are some quotes to flex your mental muscles:
1. “Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body.”– Lynn Jennings
2. “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”– Henry Ford
3. “Running is all about positive frame of mind. Stay positive, work hard and make it happen.”– Invajy
4. “Long distance running is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.”– Rich Davis
So next time you’re huffing and puffing during a tough run, remember these quotes. Remember the strength, both physical and mental, within you. And don’t forget to share that strength, resilience, and a bit of sweat, with your Instagram followers with these power-packed captions. Go get ’em, champ!
Quotes to Celebrate Running Achievements
Get ready to break out the confetti because it’s time to celebrate. That’s right, my friends, no achievement is too small when it comes to running. Made it around the block without stopping? High five! Ran a little farther than yesterday? Round of applause!
Recognizing Your Progress
Progress isn’t just about the big leaps; it’s also about the baby steps. It’s about recognizing the small victories and acknowledging the strides you’ve made. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is a runner’s stamina. It’s about time we give those little wins the spotlight they deserve.
Here are some quotes to help celebrate every bit of progress:
1. “Don’t measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.”– John Wooden
2. “It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “A runner is real when she takes the first step.”– Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Inspirational Quotes for Personal Bests and Milestones
From running your fastest mile to tackling your first 10k, there’s a unique thrill in hitting a personal best. It’s a testament to your hard work, dedication, and, let’s not forget, those early mornings when you chose running shoes over the snooze button.
Here are some quotes to help celebrate these shining moments:
1. “Some sessions are stars and some sessions are stones, but in the end they are all rocks and we build upon them.”– Chrissie Wellington
2. “Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.”– Lowell Thomas
3. “Why race? The need to be tested, perhaps; the need to take risks; and the chance to be number one.”– George Sheehan
The Power of Celebrating Every Run
Celebrating every run doesn’t mean throwing a party every time you hit the pavement (although that does sound fun!). It’s about cherishing the commitment you’ve made to yourself and your health. It’s about recognizing the effort it takes to lace up and step out, day after day.
Here are some quotes to help remember to celebrate every run:
1. “Every day is a good day when you run.”– Kevin Nelson
2. “It’s not how far you go, but how go you far.”– David Lee Roth
3. “Feel your run. Feel your race. Feel the joy that is running.”– Kara Goucher, U.S. Olympic distance runner
Now, go out there and smash those running goals! And remember, your Instagram followers are ready to cheer you on, especially with these uplifting and celebratory quotes as your captions. Pop the champagne, you’ve earned it! Or, you know, a post-run protein shake. To each their own!
Quotes to Encourage Consistency in Running
Now that we’ve got the motivation pumping, let’s chat about consistency. No, it’s not as glamorous as personal bests or marathon finishes, but it’s the bread and butter of any successful running journey.
Making Running a Habit
It’s often said that it takes 21 days to form a habit, but who’s counting? The key is to show up, day after day, regardless of whether you’re in the mood for a run or not. It’s about making running a non-negotiable part of your routine.
Here are some quotes to inspire you to make running a habit:
1. “Motivation gets you started. Habit keeps you going.”– Jim Ryun
2. “There will be days you don’t think you can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing you have.”– Unknown
3. “Running should be a lifelong activity. Approach it patiently and intelligently, and it will reward you for a long, long time.”– Michael Sargent
Motivating Quotes to Keep You Consistent
A quote a day keeps inconsistency at bay—or something like that. In the spirit of keeping our running routine regular, here are some quotes to motivate you to stay on track.
1. “Consistency requires discipline. Keep going.”– Anonymous
2. “In running, every step you make and every push forward changes you.”– Unknown
3. “We may train or peak for a certain race, but running is lifetime sport.”– Alberto Salazar
The Importance of a Regular Running Routine
A regular running routine is like the secret sauce to your running goals. It helps you build endurance, improve speed, and, most importantly, keep you in the groove. It’s the secret ingredient that turns ‘trying to run’ into ‘being a runner.’
Here are some quotes to highlight the power of a running routine:
1. “It’s not about speed or gold medals. It’s about refusing to be stopped.”– M. A. Radmacher
2. “Run often. Run long. But never outrun your joy of running.”– Julie Isphording
3. “Waking up early in the morning and jogging for half an hour is all you need to overcome your mental health issues.”– Invajy
Related: The Best Badass Quotes Worth Reading
Quotes for Marathon Training
Calling all marathoners in training! This section is for you. While I haven’t (and will never) completed a full marathon, I have run a half-marathon. And marathon runners need some serious motivation to make it through a challenge like that!
Let’s dive into the world of 26.2 miles, countless hours of training, and an ocean of mental grit.
The Mental Marathon
Training for a marathon isn’t just about the miles; it’s also about the mental endurance. It’s about keeping your mind strong when your body starts to falter.
Here are some quotes to prepare you for the mental marathon:
1. “The person who starts the race is not the same person who finishes the race.”– Unknown
2. “If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience a different life, run a marathon.”– Emil Zatopek
Inspiring Marathon Training Quotes
Training for a marathon is a journey in itself, one that’s filled with sweat, determination, and probably a few blisters. Let’s celebrate this journey with some inspiring quotes.
1. “When your legs can’t run anymore, run with your heart.”– Unknown
2. “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”– John Bingham
Embracing the Long Run
Long runs can be intimidating, but they are also your ticket to the marathon finish line. It’s about embracing the distance, the time, and the solitude that comes with it.
Here are some quotes to encourage you to embrace the long run:
1. “Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart.”– Mike Fanelli
2. “Marathons are extraordinarily difficult, but if you’ve got the training under your belt, and if you can run smart, the races take care of themselves.”– Bill Rodgers
3. Good things come slow, especially in distance running.– Bill Dellinger
Fun and Humorous Running Quotes for Instagram
Alright, folks. Let’s lighten the mood a bit. Running isn’t always about breaking records and pushing limits. Sometimes, it’s just about having a good laugh.
Let’s be real, there’s a certain comedic aspect to running. Whether it’s the awkward running faces, the waddling post-run walk, or even the bizarre tan lines.
Humor can also be a great motivator, especially when you’re huffing and puffing through a challenging run. Sometimes, all you need is a good laugh to keep going.
Let’s take a moment to laugh at ourselves and the funny side of running.
1. “I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days.”– Ronald Rook
2. “I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others.”– Bill Rodgers
3. “Why couldn’t Pheidippides have died here?”– Frank Shorter (on the 20-mile mark of the marathon)
4. “I go running when I have to. When the ice cream truck is doing sixty.”– Wendy Liebman
Profound Running Quotes
Now, let’s shift gears and dive into some deep thoughts about running. After all, running isn’t just a physical activity; it’s also a philosophical journey.
There’s a certain depth to running that goes beyond the miles and the sweat. It’s about introspection, determination, and understanding oneself. You have to let go of self doubt, get out of your head and get into the moment.
Here are some profound quotes on running:
1. “Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.” – Oprah Winfrey
2. “We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.” – Sir Roger Bannister
3. “It’s not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” – Paul Bryant
4. “Ask yourself: ‘Can I give more?’. The answer is usually: ‘Yes’.” – Paul Tergat
5. “What I’ve learned from running is that the time to push hard is when you’re hurting like crazy and you want to give up.” – James Dyson
6. “In running, it doesn’t matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, ‘I have finished.’ There is a lot of satisfaction in that.” – Fred Lebow
7. “I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.” Bart Yasso
8. “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” – John Bingham, author of Marathoning for Mortals
9. “When I’m running I don’t have to talk to anybody and don’t have to listen to anybody. This is a part of my day I can’t do without.” – Haruki Murakami, author of What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
10. “Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you’re young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don’t let worn-out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself.” – John Bingham
More of the Best Running Captions for Instagram
Some of the best social media captions are quotes or sayings with no known attribution. Whether they are unknown, anonymous, or just sayings that have been passed from runner to runner, here are a few random motivational running quotes and funny running captions you might like for your instagram posts.
- I run… I’m slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run!
- If found on the ground, please drag to finish line.
- Run like there’s a hot guy in front of you and a creepy one behind you.
- Running is a mental sport and we’re all insane.
- Running is cheaper than therapy.
- Slow runners make fast runners look good. You’re welcome.
- On your good days, run hard. On your bad days, run as long as you need.
- The best way to love running is to treat it like an old pair of shoes you never want to throw away.
- A good run is like a cup of coffee – I’m much nicer after I’ve had one.
- If you ran like your mouth, you’d be in good shape.
- I plan on having such an awesome run, Morgan Freeman should narrate it.
- Be somebody nobody thought you could be.
- Running reminds you that even in your weakest moments…you are strong.
- Pain is temporary, but your finishing time posted on the internet is FOREVER.
- When I get tired, I remember those who can’t run, what they would give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them.
How to Choose the Right Caption for Your Running Picture?
How to Choose the Right Caption for Your Running Picture?
How Can Running Quotes Improve Motivation?
Running quotes can be a powerful motivator because they encapsulate the trials, triumphs, and emotions of running in a few impactful words. They can inspire you to start running, keep you going when the going gets tough, and celebrate your achievements along the way.
Are There Specific Quotes Suited for Different Types of Runs?
Absolutely! Long runs, speed workouts, recovery runs, each run has its own vibe and challenges, and there are quotes to match each of them. Refer to the sections above to find a quote that suits your specific type of run.
How to Use Humor Effectively in Your Running Captions?
Humor can make your captions more engaging and relatable. To use humor effectively, choose quotes that highlight the lighter side of running, ones that every runner can chuckle at. Just remember to keep it light-hearted and fun. Everyone loves a good meme that they can share!
How Often Should You Post Your Running Progress on Instagram?
It’s your journey, and you get to decide how often to share it. Whether you post every run, every milestone, or every hilarious running blooper, the important thing is to share your love for running and inspire others along the way.
Running is more than just a form of exercise; it’s a journey, a lifestyle, and for many, a passion. So, whether you’re a beginner lacing up for the first time, a seasoned marathoner, or someone who just loves the feel of the open road beneath their feet, remember to enjoy every step of your running journey.
While these quotes make for great Instagram captions, they also carry an essence that goes beyond the ‘gram. They encapsulate the heart and soul of running, and hopefully, they inspire you to lace up and hit the road, one step at a time.
Remember, every run is a story worth sharing. So keep running, keep sharing, and keep inspiring. Your running journey is a celebration, so go ahead, put on your running shoes, step out, and embrace the joy of running. And of course, don’t forget to capture the moment and pair it with a perfect quote! Runners, take your mark, get set, ‘gram!
Amanda is a mom of 4 living a mostly crunchy lifestyle outside of Atlanta, GA with her husband, 2 dogs, and a cat. As a former special education teacher who also has her personal training certification — Amanda really enjoys teaching others how to do things!
When she’s not working, Amanda enjoys DIY projects, exercising, photography, hiking, and long walks through Target.